Submission Deadline Extension: Submissions now due before 6 March 2018.
The Justice Select Committee are asking for you to write in to let them know your views on David Seymour’s End of Life Choice Bill (read the bill here). The Bill seeks to legalise euthanasia and assisted suicide (called “assisted dying” in the Bill) for people with a terminal illness or a “grievous and irremediable” medical condition.
(Please note that this is different from the previous inquiry conducted by the Health Select Committee because the Justice Committee’s inquiry is specifically about Seymour’s End of Life Choice Bill.)
Making a submission is easy, and it can be as short or as long as you want it to be provided you mention the Bill specifically.
State your position on the Bill (e.g. I oppose the End of Life Choice Bill…). Give reasons for your view. Make it clear that your recommendation is that the Committee rejects the Bill.
Please include whether you would like to make an oral submission as well. This is where you appear before the Committee either in person or over the phone. You can bring along people to support you, and it’s another opportunity to add more information and influence the Committee. We encourage you to take this opportunity.
It’s important that the Select Committee hears from medical doctors about how this Bill on will negatively affect the profession and why medical professionals should not be a part of any practice that deliberately harms and takes the life of our patients. Because submissions are publicly released and published to the Parliament website, make sure your contact details are separate from your submission.
How do I make a submission?
You can make a submission online or by email.
- To make a submission online, click here.
- Follow the online instructions. For a step-by-step guide to this process, see here.
- Please consider ticking the box to speak before the Committee with an oral submission.
- Write your submission on the computer.
- Put “End of Life Choice Bill Submission” in the subject line.
- Include your name, address, and telephone number in the email.
- Please state whether you would like to make an oral submission.
- Attach your submission in PDF or DOC format.
- Send the email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Resources to help you
- Download a Quick Facts: Euthanasia and Assisted Suicide Sheet.
- Visit No to Assisted Suicide for key issues of the Bill.
- Read the Family First NZ Submission Guide.
- Visit The Care Alliance website for 6 key reasons to oppose the Bill.
- Parliament information on Submissions.